How do I obtain a burning permit?

All outside burning in the Town of Hampton requires a burn permit to be issued. Applications shall be made either in person or by calling the fire department at 603-926-3316.

Burn Permit Guidelines

  • As stated on the permit, the sole liability for damages or other costs (including extinguishing) caused by your fire are your responsibility.
  • The burn site will be inspected by Hampton Fire and Rescue prior to the issuance of a permit.
  • Burns shall be located a minimum of 25 feet away from buildings, fences, power lines, etc.
  • Fires are not allowed on the beach in Hampton.
  • The permittee must be at least 18 years old and the legal landowner, or have the landowner's written approval. The written approval must be submitted to receive a permit.
  • The permittee must have proper suppression equipment to maintain control of the fire at all times.

Fire Law Brochure

The fire-law-brouchure.pdf ( has the specific rules regarding outside burning.

New Hampshire Division of Forests & Lands Forest Protection Bureau

For more information you can call 926-3316 or go to: Welcome | NH Division of Forests and Lands 

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a burning permit?
2. Can I cook on my deck or balcony?
3. Can I put a heater or flame table on my deck?
4. How do I get a copy of a fire / emergency medical services report?
5. How do I schedule a fire station tour or arrange for a fire engine to stop by a block/birthday party, etc.?
6. How do I become a firefighter for Hampton Fire/Rescue?
7. Why does the fire engine respond with the ambulance?
8. Where can I get my blood pressure checked?
9. Where can I get information on youth fire-setter prevention programs ?
10. Who can I call with questions about fire extinguishers?
11. Are fireworks allowed in Hampton?